Sunday, April 19, 2009

Life's Rhythm

This afternoon I was cleaning out my hard copy mail and found a small publication published by Renovare called Explorations. The theme of this issue was Rhythms of Life. The author, Christopher S. Webb, talks about how we are creatures of habit. From the time we are small most of us find ourselves craving the familiar and the regular. How many times are we thrown off our game because we're not in our regular seat at a staff meeting or are in the "wrong" pew at church because a visitor took "our spot". How funny we humans are!

I think being creatures of habit makes losing our jobs so difficult. I've been laid off three times and each time I've had to find a new rhythm. Though unemployed and unencumbered by anyone else's schedule, I would establish a new routine pretty quickly. Get up at 7 am (no longer 7 pm for my graveyard shift job), shower (that was the same!), stop for my coffee (at a new place, but only new until it became part of my new "routine"), drive to the outsourcing office, "work", stop for lunch, then head home for a walk. With each new day, this new route became more and more my routine, until the next change came along and I had to readjust again.

What rhythms does your life follow? Is it an easy rhythm? If it were disrupted, could you establish a new way of living? How much time would it take you to adapt? I'm an easy adapter, but maybe for you you need more time to settle in and get comfortable. Something to think about with all that time you have on your hands ... don't let it go to waste.

No comments:

Post a Comment