Friday, June 19, 2009

Are you creative?

My job is to think up creative ways to generate sales leads at trade shows. I don't think of myself as a creative professional, but I should. We're all creative in our own way, and just because our job titles are "coordinator" or "principal," doesn't mean our need to be creative doesn't exist.

It takes a lot of creativity to get by in the world, and I think it would help us all tremendously if we would get in touch with our creative side.

Recently, when my father wasn't getting the medical care I felt he needed, I found a way to get him into the right facility. When I needed job protection because I needed to be with my father during his appointments and hospitalization, I found a way to get the FMLA paperwork signed. (Unfortunately, there are seriously lazy doctors in the world who can't be bothered to help family members complete the brief paperwork required to get job protection during extended illnesses. I've included a link to the Family Medical Leave Act so you can check it out.)

A wonderful tool I've discovered to help me uncover my untapped creative potential in all areas of my life is Morning Pages. Morning Pages were created and named by Julia Cameron, a wonderful writer and creative professional. Every morning for decades, the first thing Julia does is sit down and write 3 pages of her thoughts in long hand. This clears her mind and helps her start the day. It is both a creative and spiritual process, and I highly recommend it. I've been doing them now for almost a month, and in addition to my Kundalini yoga and prayer time, Morning Pages have changed my thinking--broadened it and helped me be more productive and creative in all aspects of my life.

Even if you don't think you're creative, try out Morning Pages. See how freeing it is to get your thoughts down on paper before you face the world each morning. I guarantee it will change you.

1 comment:

  1. Gail is the best! She is supportive, intelligent, and enthusiastic. She always has good advice and does whatever she can to help people. Gee, I should be saying this on LinkedIn, shouldn't I?! Love 'ya! Jan

    ReplyDelete