Monday, July 19, 2010

Quitting Your Job Successfully

On Friday, I quit my job and walked out the door. What an amazing feeling!

I didn't do this in anger or disgust, I just wanted to leave on my own terms. I've had to deal with a difficult boss for the last three years, and I felt the only way I could leave without a lot of residual anger or fear, was to leave the way I wanted to--on a positive note.

I walked into Human Resources and told them I had found a wonderful new position, which is true, and that all of my projects were up-to-date. I handed in my laptop, phone, and camera, had a brief exit interview, and I was off.

Don't be afraid to do what feels right for you when you leave a job. Both my employer and I were free to separate at any time for any reason, and so this was easy. Next time you need to make a change, consider what's best for you, treat others respectfully, and do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment